With this blog I hope to inspire people to live out their full authentic selves, no matter what other people might tell them is or is not appropriate. Follow me for noveling helps and articles about how to live your life freely and openly.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Unashamed

So while I was waiting for Josh to come home last night, I was watching Make it or Break it (MIOBI) on Netflix, kinda catching up on some old episodes that I had read the recaps on, just had never taken the time to see. And, believe it or not, I learned something from watching that teen drama show. Or maybe not so much learned something as I remembered something.

I need to be unashamed of who I am.

Here's the deal: growing up I was taught that everything was black and white. You were either right or you were wrong. There was no room for "hey, we have our differences, but I respect that". Now, my parents were and are great and loving people, so I'm not saying this to bash them down or anything like that. I'm just saying that's the environment that I perceive myself as growing up in. Could be true, could be wrong. Anyhow.

The trap that I fall into is being ashamed of who I am
1. What music I listen to
2. What books I chose to read
3. The way I dress
4. The piercings and tattoos that I long to have.

So while I was watching MIOBI last night, I watched as Kaylee admitted that she was anorexic and that she needed help, and listened to her talk about how she always bottled up who she really was because she was afraid of rejection. I thought - that's me.
Not the anorexic part, far from that (lol).
But the whole - "I can't be who I really am because I might be rejected".
Ashamed. Of who you really are.

So here and now I'm making a public statement. I denounce the people in my life who try to hold me back. Who try to control me. I'm no longer going to be ashamed of the way I dress, or the way I look, or what I chose to do with my time.

Most importantly, I need to be unashamed of my writing. That subject seems to be popping up in the writing books I've been reading lately. "Be yourself, you're only hurting yourself if you conform". It's too true.

Because here's the thing guys. At the end of the day, when it all fades away, Christ isn't going to ask me, "hey, Liz, did you make your parents happy? What about your siblings? How about your husband and best friend?"
No.
He's going to ask;
"Liz, did you do everything in your power to serve ME and to make ME pleased with you?"

May my answer to that question be yes. Amen.

L Finch

4 comments:

Vicky Bruere said...

What an inspiring post! I agree 100%

Vicky Bruere said...

P.S. I love MIOBI too...and so does my husband!

Unknown said...

You need to be all that God has made you to be.

I'm following you now.

Deana said...

So very true! I grew up a black and white thinker as well and it has been really hard to get out of that mindset. Good for you to take a stand against the naysayers in your life and work on you:)

Post a Comment