With this blog I hope to inspire people to live out their full authentic selves, no matter what other people might tell them is or is not appropriate. Follow me for noveling helps and articles about how to live your life freely and openly.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The words "Giving Up"

These words will not be in my vocabulary.
Today I was reading Janet Evanovich's "How I write" and realizing how totally off I am as far as my novel goes. I have a lot left to write, and quite a few reversions ahead of me!
But that's the point of the first draft, isn't it? That it's supposed to be "crappy", whatever. Point is, it's SUPPOSED to be awful. Plain and simple.

Until I get over the fact that my first draft will, indeed, be crappy, I won't get anywhere. No kidding.
Listen to me carefully.

YOUR FIRST DRAFT WILL SUCK.

Don't let that stop you from making an awesome second, third, and forth draft. Don't go wandering after other ideas, other books, thinking that "maybe this one will be better". Because, guess what, it won't be.

YOUR SECOND DRAFT MIGHT SUCK JUST AS BAD.

Don't give up. The only time you are allowed to give up is when you have learned everything you can about writing from that one horrid book. Then, and only then, are you free to go. Pursue other ideas, write a better book.

The point of all of this is - don't give up. You can do it. I have faith in you.

Cheers!
L Finch

0 comments:

Post a Comment